After Covid and Black fungus or Mucormycosis, a new fungal infection has established its roots and is considered to be more dangerous than Black fungus. This deadly fungus is known as White fungus. The first case of white fungus has been found in Patna, Bihar.
The White fungus is caused due to lack of immunity and has similar symptoms to Covid but tests negative. Also, Covid patients are highly prone to this fungus as it affects the lungs and in some cases, it is found in other body parts like nails, skin, stomach, kidney, brain, private parts and mouth.
Image Credits- Wikipedia
Who are at high risk?
According to the doctors, people with a weak immune system like Diabetes patients and cancer patients, the one who is taking steroids and patients who just recovered from Covid are at high risk.
Symptoms of the White fungus
“The symptoms will depend on which part of the body is affected,” said Dr Om Srivastava, Director of Infectious Disease, Jaslok hospital and research centre.
White fungus symptoms can only be identified through CT- Scan or X-ray.
- If the digestive tract is affected by the infection then an individual can face problems while eating and swallowing.
- If the parts inside the skull hand head are affected then it causes headache and nausea.
There are some other symptoms as well and they are –
- White tongue
- White patches on the skin
- Hypoxia ( low oxygen level )
These symptoms can be found even after recovery from Covid.
How can you protect yourself from White fungus?
- Maintain a healthy immune system
- Make sure your surroundings are clean and dust-free.
- Proper sanitation is required.
- Dental care is a must.